Sunday, July 28, 2013

Streaming, Pooling, and Flowing: Sitting Beside the Digital Stream

Recently, I posted on my Facebook page the following passage from Chiminanda Adichie's latest book, Americanah.  New to the American education system, Ifemelu, Adichie's protagonist, is baffled by the American practice of rewarding students for "participation":


"School in America was easy, assignments sent in by e-mail, classrooms air-conditioned, professors willing to give make-up tests. But she was uncomfortable with what the professors called "participation," and did not see why it should be part of the final grade; it merely made students talk and talk, class time wasted on obvious words, hollow words, sometimes meaningless words. It had to be that Americans were taught, from elementary school, to always say something in class, no matter what. And so she sat stiff-tongued, surrounded by students who were all folded easily in their seats, all flush with knowledge, not of the subject of the classes, but of how to be in classes. They never said, 'I don't know.' They said, instead, 'I'm not sure,' which did not give any information, but still suggested the possibility of knowledge."

There were assorted responses to my Facebook posting -- some calling for more conversation (which I hope this blog will be a place for), some identifying the challenge of and need to cultivate real learning discourse in classrooms, some suggesting the effects of culture and previous schooling experience on students' understandings of how to learn and how to fulfill their teachers' expectations of them as students (often not the same thing as learning!), some expressing enthusiasm about other literary and cultural contributions of Chimimanda Adichie.

It's an interesting moment to be thinking about this this weekend.  On Friday, the Project Zero Classroom summer institute drew to a close; and tomorrow, the Project Zero Future of Learning summer institute begins.  


At last week's institute, my role was to co-lead a workshop about a set of ideas called Making Learning Visible -- in fact, a new book called Visible Learners:  Promoting Reggio-Inspired Approaches in All Schools just came out. The case study that I presented in the workshop was about my efforts to move my AP Literature and Composition students  beyond "participation," as Adichie's heroine would describe it, to the kind of speaking and listening on which I believed their collective and individual learning depended:  only when students engage authentically with one another's ideas is there the potential for re-examined and deepened content knowledge, re-examined and even transformed attitudes, and new insights that can lead to enlightened action. At the center of Making Learning Visible practice is capturing, representing, and sharing (via documentation) the potential moment of learning -- the snippet of conversation, the gesture or action that guides learning activity down a certain path, the student creations that accompany these moments -- so that it can be explored, examined, interpreted -- used to advance the learning of those inquiring into it.  

At next week's (tomorrow's!) institute, my role will be to co-lead a learning group that will grapple with some of the "big forces" that have ramifications for education:  globalization, the digital revolution, and new understandings of the mind and the brain. Perspectives will abound. Content will challenge our ideas about "what's possible" and "what we already know." Again, speaking and listening will be foregrounded, not just because institute participants will be coming from all over the world, will represent diverse perspectives, and will be part of so many different experiences and face-to-face discussions -- but because one of our topics is the digital world, which is always humming, churning, never sleeping, and endlessly spewing forth more words, more words, more words.   

I sit here blogging; Adichie's heroine is also a blogger. Lately I've been tweeting, too, trying to figure out what tweets are for, or can be for.  So here I am, contributing to and inquiring into that relentless digital streaming that sometimes irresistibly and sometimes irritatingly compels us to participate.  And at the same instant, here I am advocating for those Making Learning Visible learning approaches that insist on slowing things down, hitting the "pause" button, holding up learning experiences like crystals with multiple glittering facets that all deserve attention, advocating for taking the time to understand them deeply and with others.  

Hmmm . . . . could I tweet about the experience of capturing and exploring a moment? Could I convey in 140 characters the metaphorical experiences of managing to lift, with patience and a glass, some interesting creature from the rushing stream; of spending time observing it swimming around in the glass jar, trying to understand it and to learn from it; and of then returning it to its world and using what I learned from it in my own? Could one tweet do that? Could a bunch of tweets do that? Could a bunch of tweets from multiple people do that?

Recently, while I was contemplating the inherent contradictions in my Project-Zero-related learning life, I came across a photo that I took of my favorite reading spot along the stream right near our Berlin, New York cabin. I had taken the photo over the Fourth of July weekend because I wanted to remember that very hot afternoon when just keeping my feet in the water had kept me wonderfully cool while I was reading -- in fact, it was Americanah I was reading.  What caught my eye in the photo (don't know if I noticed this in the moment, but that's why Making Learning Visible encourages exploration of promising moments as they reveal themselves in photos and videotapes as well as words and other media) -- was the sky's bright blue reflection on a small, captured part of the stream that wasn't rushing by -- one of those many small pools that often establish themselves in some indentation in a stone or in some crevice between stones.  (I hope you can see it on the right side of the photograph  on the bottom half.)

Everyone who has ever had any association with Project Zero ideas knows that reflection is highly regarded as an essential learning activity.  The word "reflection" shows up in institute throughlines, and time and space is regularly dedicated to it.  So reflection is bright blue and sparkling in the Project Zero world, jewel-like and prized as it is here.

Streaming, pooling:  I can't resist wondering if this "learning tension" actually has me "flowing" -- experiencing "flow" as Mihaly Csikszentmihalyi might define it.  But that would be too neat and too perfect. I still have this tendency to seek that kind of completeness of metaphor,* and I have to be careful of that:  too much truth gets lost when metaphors are over-applied. Even so, I bring it up because it's my blog and I can.  Maybe this whole paragraph is a perfect example of digitally shared words that didn't need to be shared.

But back to Adichie.  None of this solves the problem of participation that Ifemelu identifies. And I understand the well-intentioned sources of it:  the hope of compelling very quiet students to speak out at least once so that we, their teachers, have some idea of the degree to which they're understanding the lesson, and so that they can experience themselves as being respected by, listened to, and learned from by their classmates. But quantification of talk doesn't guarantee quality or respect; in worst case scenarios, it masks mere tolerance and even disdain.  And it also too often produces a simulation of "learning together," rather than authentic learning derived from thoughtful listening and interchange.  


Language does and will proliferate, but a real "pedagogy of listening," as Carlina Rinaldi and other Making Learning Visible practitioners would call it, takes practice, discipline, and commitment.  Years ago when I read Scott Peck's The Road Less Traveled, I was struck by his concept of "bracketing" -- essentially, taking one's own viewpoint or perspective and setting it aside for a while so that one might fully entertain "new ideas" and the possibility of growth and understanding to which they might lead.  Peck quoted from Sam Keen's To a Dancing God, which spoke of the necessity of "silencing the familiar and welcoming the strange." That's what students -- and adults, also -- need to do if they are really going to try on the thinking of others to strengthen and deepen their own.

This brings to mind once again Howards End and Helen Schlegel's comment to her sister Margaret that I mentioned a few weeks back:  "Meg, shall we ever learn to talk less?" Maybe we don't need to talk less, as long as we are talking for the sake of understanding more and helping others to do the same, for the sake of expressing ourselves truly, or for the sake of building and sustaining communities that respect and care for the individuals within them. 

And maybe we don't need to talk less as long as we're giving others space and time to talk also.

But chances are that talking less is a good idea in a lot of cases.  So many people are talking. I hope just as many people are listening, especially to those who are striving to "only connect" by sharing something meaningful (with all of its possible interpretations) with those who are listening.

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts -- and words -- about any of this!

* When I post about my great affection for Howards End's Margaret Schlegel by the end of August, I will mention this as a weakness that characterizes her in the first half of the book.

#hgsepzfol

11 comments:

  1. Hi Joan! I enjoy your nuanced descriptions.

    I am partial to when in doubt err on the side of more communication , although its a tricky business for sure.

    I saw a teaching recently that gave me some pause on that score. The Kabbala describes finite creation a result of Divine concealment. Yet even subsequent to this concealment there was an (intentional) 'shattering of vessels' from a too powerful expression at the outset of the creative process. Rabbi Nachman of Breslev describes this shattering of vessels on the human interactive level as perpetual due to the abundant expression of (diametrically opposed?) perspectives. Which on the one hand serves the positive purpose of allowing for individual perception to find unthreatened basis within a diversity. On the other hand , someone at some point does get shattered due to perspective overload or when the idea voltage may be turned too high. So he was also advocating the utilization of silence. A healthy balance perhaps?

    You also remind me about the teaching power of visuals. Which is discussed as the ultimate tool in transmission of knowledge within the esoteric teaching. Although it seems to me that it goes beyond a picture is worth 1000 words but more the ability to comprehend or transmit an external idea or experience the precisely exact way we see or share an object. As Sinai was described along those lines they saw what was normally heard and they heard what was normally seen. Now without getting into the supernatural, the ability to present experience and idea through digitally manipulated imagery today seems extremely powerful if leveraged effectively.

    Its pretty striking because reflection is a big deal too in the kabbalistic sphere, but I guess it shouldnt be surprising as we are talking about knowledge and truth so the mechanisms of conveyance should be somewhat uniform across paths. Content is another matter!

    Keep em coming!

    Eli

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Eli --

    Great to get your comments. I am glad you (allegedly) err on the side of more communication because you're such a good communicator.

    I really like your idea of "healthy balance" -- "perspective overload when the the idea voltage may be turned too high" does seem like something that good educators -- and good people -- can sometimes help others to manage without shattering. I think part of what was hard at CRLS in the weeks after the Boston Marathon was the sea of perspectives.

    But as you say, varied sincere perspectives are useful, and vital, and enlightening -- well worth the trouble. Whenever I've tried to look at the Kabbala, usually through the kinds of books that try to make it somehow accessible, I realize how much I need other voices not just to challenge my thinking, but to help me establish my thinking in the first place. The "shattering of vessels" language and idea I've heard before -- I'm going back to look again, thanks to you.

    So much of what I've come to appreciate about photography as a teaching tool is a result of my involvement in the "Making Learning Visible" Project. But when you bring up Sinai, I also want to say that the idea that Moses' face was shining -- the whole idea that things were looking different and being seen differently -- has always intrigued me. Because how could one not be changed and one's perceptions not be changed when something this transformative and defining was happening?

    Enjoyed reflecting about reflection, etc. with you -- and also your last "Content is another matter!

    Take care, Eli -- more later, I hope!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Joan,

      I am curious as to the nature of the varied perspectives at CRLS after the bombing. Being about a block from the epicenter in NYC when 9/11 occurred, to me there was an overriding collective aspect in the response to the experience. Aside from a bonding to people I was with that day, walking through the smoke, crossing Manhattan bridge on foot together etc. Ideologies, motives, politics – really never entered conversations in my radius subsequent to the event in a seriously confrontational or disagreeable fashion (A good natured rant here and there excluded). Sort of a tacit group expression that what happened was seismic, obviously bad and horrible for those that were injured or lost lives and the best thing we could do to bridge the vulnerability we all felt was to convince each other that happy normal is just around the corner, until eventually I think it mostly was. I don’t think my demographics were too sheltered – that was when the trading floor had a very wide spectrum of jobs, from teams (red jackets) whose sole tasks were transporting a trade record (ticket) from point A to point B and making lunch runs – to the guys in the cooler colored jackets with numbered badges yelling “buy em” or “sold”. I was closer in task then to the ticket transportation team (all done now by coded messages in the wires sent to destinations in milliseconds). Perhaps it was the proximity to the event that brought that collective sense that seemed to last for a very long time.

      You reminded me about Moses. Lets say he also faced the dilemma of how best to educate - a people, a newborn nation. The Midrash puts forth that his shine only began after he delivered the second tablets, subsequent to his shattering (that word again) of the first. The Rebbe taught that the first tablets represented information imposed from above – great and powerful but only temporarily and thus superficially convincing – while the second set was mans coming to it on his own terms – after a stumble. Thus the shine was given to him in the process of the second tablets indicating they specifically led to a place of true internalization and the pinnacle (splendor) of the knowledge – yet only possible through a stumble and self propulsion forward.

      Yet he still had to wear a mask when he wasn't teaching. I think I understand that to mean that educating and enabling someone how to teach themselves is both a mark of the greatest success but it’s also a power that requires great discipline.

      Have a good night,

      Eli

      Delete
    2. Hi, Eli --

      There's so much to reply to in your post. I'm going to start with the Marathon stuff; then, probably I'm going to talk about Moses in another post. I taught "Bible as Literature" for years to classes of students who represented so many different ways of being spiritual and practicing "labeled" religions. We spent a lot of time talking about how hard it must have been to be "the first ones" who were in the process of learning -- almost discovering -- what it actually meant to be defining themselves "differently" than people had been defined before. Jews weren't the only ones to have struggling "first ones": as I used to say to my students when we read the Gospels, Jesus' 12 disciples were the "advanced class," and they repeatedly stumbled and struggled to learn from him. More later; back to the Marathon for now.

      The biggest struggle at CRLS re: the Marathon bombings has been people's different feelings of sympathy, guilt, and rage as relates to the Tsarnaev brothers, both of whom graduated from CRLS. Some folks' reactions have been very much focused on trying to figure out how the Tsarnaevs became what they became, what roles we (as a school community) might have played by not detecting something that was there to detect, etc. There was also the threat of the creation of more victims: the first day we came back to school after the bombings, my Muslim students were particularly anxious about the implications for them and their families: some of them had already been receiving nasty messages on Facebook, etc.

      When one of my students asked me a question about how "someone who went to this school could have done something like that," I could hear that she was also asking, "Who will do something like this next?" and "Could it even be me next?" -- as if not only were the Tsarnaevs mysteries to us, but we were possibly mysteries to ourselves.

      To be continued in next comment!

      Delete
    3. The next comment:


      There is another complicating angle to this at CRLS: the newly-wed son and daughter-in-law of two beloved former staff members are among those who lost limbs. So part of the tension at CRLS was over who -- the Tsarnaevs or their victims -- was and should be looming largest in our consciousnesses. I know that for me personally -- and I did not know either Tsarnaev brother personally -- I was, and still am, so outraged over the damage that they did deliberately and maliciously. So I am much more focused on the victims than on the alleged perpetrators. Now that three months have gone by, I have a better understanding that the Tsarnaevs may have been victims in some ways that we're only beginning to understand. Still, in my mind they are victimizers rather than victims. Being very close to the mother of the newly-wed son mentioned above, I have some idea of what the last months have been like for the newly-weds and their families. They are in the midst of a very long learning and mental and physical healing process, assuming all goes very well.

      On the other hand, as an educator, I have to think about the Tsarnaevs -- and especially about the experiences of students, especially immigrant students who "seem fine" but who may be extraordinarily isolated in some deep part of themselves. When we take courses about working with English language learners, we often hear about the loneliness that they often go through at some point in their new schooling. We probably need to think more about in our students who are culturally, if not linguistically, different from "the majority" of the student body" (can never tell what "the majority" means at CRLS).

      The challenge for us at CRLS was not just responding to the useless horror of it all, but responding to the ways various ones of us were responding. We were all drawn together because we were all going through something terrible and very close to home, but we were also divided because our personal relationships with various ones of those who were at the finish line on April 15 shaped our responses.

      So that's it for now; will post more about Moses later. I really like Moses, so I'm looking forward to that.

      Thanks again for your perpetual thoughtfulness and interest!
      JSS

      Delete
    4. Hi, Eli --

      I've just begun using/reading a book called 60 Days: A Spiritual Guide to the High Holidays as a way of getting ready for Rosh Hashanah and Yom Kippur. I tend not to very good at getting ready for these holidays, but I'm trying to be more intentional this year.

      The book lays out this timeline that includes Moses' ascents of and descents from Mt. Sinai and talks about Moses' relationships with both the people and God during this time. So the Midrash you share above echoes in part what this book is saying.

      I also really like your idea about the formidable discipline that is involved in such transformative teaching -- the kind that changes people on the inside (not the kind that makes them use apostrophes correctly or do long division!). I love that Moses seems to grow into his role, his vision, and his authority, after that distant beginning of wondering whether God had chosen the right one to be the leader.

      This book also lays out a lot of interpretation of the name of the month of Elul, and talks about Elul as the month that God was especially open to listening to Moses. What a relationship God and Moses had! Given that we've been talking about teaching and listening, etc., it's interesting to think as Moses as teacher needing to meet the requirements of his "principal or headmaster," God, while meeting the needs of the "students," who aren't at all used to this new curriculum and these new teaching methods. It's hard to imagine a situation that was more intense than this one.

      Thanks again! JSS

      Delete
    5. Hi Joan,

      Thank you for the description of some of the dynamics at CRLS post the event and about the diversity of the student body. That the perpetrators were once students certainly seems like it would magnify things. Personal connection to those who were hurt or lost a limb must also be a differentiating factor in perceiving the event. I am sorry to hear about that direct impact. I didn't know anyone personally who was seriously hurt or killed on 9/11, despite feeling the rumble, seeing the lights flicker and debri drop down outside as the first plane hit. Now that I think about your description and contrast it to events where I had a personal connection to someone who suffered a tragedy I realize that personalization alters perception and reaction. Not to get too morbid , but I suspect it is the personalization of pain or suffering that triggers a different wavelength of approach for many people. For all the intensity of my experience of 9/11 , I was really a fortunate bystander to the pain and suffering so many endured. There seems to be an idea of synthesis here between personalization of experience and an objective analysis or approach - if thats possible. The crux is likely found within a balance or better probably, blend. To love your fellow as yourself alone perhaps is insufficient. To love G-D alone insufficient (maybe even dangerous)as well. Put them together and now were talking. This could the idea of Elul , as an acronym for I am to my beloved and my beloved is to me. Humanity and the Divine not as Yin and Yang but somehow coexisting, overlapping in the same experience as one. Just like Moses , as he is described in psalms - a prayer of Moses - man of G-D.

      Have a gn,

      Eli

      Delete
  3. Joan,

    In my view, in the big picture, the main job of a teacher is to help the kids to read, and to be a good role model. Most of the rest is up to the kids.

    You cannot save people (kids or otherwise). They have to save themselves. Or not get saved.

    Most of a teacher's impact, I think, is by example. What kind of person is the teacher? How does the teacher make the kids feel about themselves, about the world, about learning? Ducklings mimic the duck, to some extent. Or rebel, perhaps. But react.

    So what does the teacher communicate (expressly or implicitly) about what it is important to learn?

    What is most important? Job skills? Kindness? Political awareness? Academic achievement? All of the above.

    The teacher's lesson is the teacher. I have no doubt you are doing a good job.

    In answer to an argument for a more "rigorous" and narrow curriculum, I recommend Thunder at Twilight by Frederick Morton. Set in Vienna 1913, it is a vivid depiction of a civilization smugly going over a cliff. (Sadly, it resonates today.) The world is big, and it is never safe not to engage on the broadest level.

    Television provides an image of a never changing, homogeneous society, and inspires a sense that our society hardly changes. It is not true. Kids need to get ready. Too much excitement awaits.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Jim --

      I love that your post ends with "Too much excitement awaits"! I agree with you that to a large extent, the teacher's lesson is the teacher. That definitely is important in terms of all the ethical and moral hopes we have for students as those next in line to be responsible for it all -- or to take advantage of it all. I'm by nature a cheerful person who is slow to anger, and I know that that aspect of myself, which is not "planned," has a huge impact on my students' willingness to reach out to me. They need to do the reaching, but I'm glad that there's something about me that makes it easier for them to take that initiative and see themselves as capable of taking that initiative.

      That said, it really is not only character that matters. There are some teachers out there who love students and have great values, but who are limited in their abilities to plan, instruct, and assess -- they often recognize their limitations and yearn for opportunities that will help them improve. I'm a good teacher, but I've become a better teacher through effort, experimentation, and some awfully good coaching. I think some of the changes that I've made have actually upped the chances that when my students realize that it truly is up to them, as your first paragraph asserts, they are equipped to take charge of their own lives and learning and go for it.

      So this is my way of saying that there are instructional approaches and tools out there that have better chance of helping kids experience themselves as authentically able to learn and to act in ways that can allow them to "pursue happiness" -- for themselves and for others. When teachers of good character use these tools and approaches strategically, awfully good things can happen. I believe this combination is especially important for students who step into our classrooms not at all confident that they can learn what we are planning to teach them.

      I've heard of Thunder at Twilight; it's now on my list.

      Thanks, Jim, for responding. I am so pleased whenever non-teachers want to talk seriously about teaching!
      JSS




      Delete
    2. I know that what you say is true, but it is a fine line.

      There is no formula. And the issue, in the end, cannot be masterminded.

      In my view, the biggest hurdle (in school, in life -- where there is lot to learn after school and before school) is to get folks to take responsibility for their lives, and to feel both the obligation and the power to affect their own world.

      We feel like observers.

      If you can get kids excited about something (and I expect you can), then that is a huge first step. Once started, learning often becomes a habit that is hard to break.

      Delete
  4. Hi, Jim --

    You're right: it really is a fine line, and there is no formula: teachers can adopt with commitment and heart only those tools and approaches that fit with who they are.

    My colleagues at Project Zero who wrote Visible Learners would concur with you that "we feel like observers" -- in fact, they and others have elevated observation to critical element of teaching. They agree that real excitement is generated by the kids themselves.

    Our real goal is the one you capture in your last sentence: making learning into a habit that no one wants to break.

    I wonder if the people we have in common -- our college classmates -- think about all of this. Hmmm . . .

    ReplyDelete