Sunday, June 13, 2021

Wish Poem: After Hating Another Poem

So already, the other day I realized I hated the poem I was writing. 

Don't get me wrong: I had begun with a really good idea for a poem. But I'd taken that idea and tormented and twisted it to the point that it no longer resembled anything vaguely alive.

I felt like a cat* that had trapped a mouse in a basement corner two days ago and had been playing with it mercilessly ever since. The non-cat part of me finally just had to rear up and take control: first I caught the exhausted mouse, then I set it free in the tall grass at the edge of the yard.

Then, I sat down and wrote "Wish Poem" in fifteen minutes.

Give me poems 
that soar and rage,
 
steal the shadows,
steal the stage--
 
poems that get
right in your face,
 
waging peace
and spewing grace,
 
suffering children--
not fools gladly--
 
dripping wisdom,
loving madly.**

* Photo beneath Ellis, C. (2019). The night world's worth. https://www.vqronline.org/fiction/2019/09/night-world%E2%80%99s-worth. 

** With gratitude to and in memory of Larry Hill, the Presbyterian chaplain at Harvard who directed Waging Peace, a Harvard-based arms control group in the 1980s.

2 comments:

  1. This poem could be about almost anything right now. I am going to print it out, hang it on my mirror (previously your mirror), and read it for motivation every morning and evening.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so happy, Cuzzie 2A, that this poem speaks to someone in addition to me. Maybe the appeal is pandemic-related? or not. . . . Thanks for reading and commenting!

      Delete