Monday, October 3, 2022

Crossings: A Poem

So already, on a mid-September morning, I was waiting for the walk light when I noticed the young man diagonally across the intersection from me. The result was this poem, entitled "Crossings."

 
I could feel him pressing forward, 
Itching to step off the curb,
Muscles tensed, shoulders hunched, 
The only other person standing at the intersection 
Already plugged with rush hour traffic. 
He must have gotten off the train, I thought. 
He must be heading to work, I thought.
 
6:45 on a Wednesday morning. 
North Quincy High*, I thought. 
Its four-story façade directly across from us both 
Loomed implacable over its nearly empty parking lot 
And a meager planting of drought-stressed trees and shrubs: 
School didn’t start for an hour. 
 
He had that new young male teacher look:
Curly black hair and black beard, barely trimmed; 
Blue-green plaid shirt, sleeves rolled up;  
Khaki pants, neither wrinkled nor pressed; 
And black shoes of cloth and leather both—for standing all day. 
One of his hands rested on a briefcase so stuffed and heavy 
That its strap was carving a gorge into his shoulder;  
His other hand cradled a covered cup of coffee against his chest.
 
At the walk light’s first flash, he turned gazelle,
Leaping across the street’s five lanes, 
Then springing through an iron gateway and down several steps 
To the parking lot, which he crossed in lightning strides, 
Coffee still held safe, sealed, and close, 
Before flinging open the silent building’s front door 
And vanishing into its dark maw. 
 
I was right. Young teacher. 
 
And walking on toward the river, 
I thought of the new teachers I’d shepherded   
Through their first weeks of school, 
Recalled how before the day’s first bell
They’d sign in, sign on, sign up, set up, 
Gather, photocopy, post, arrange,  
Bright-eyed and breathless,  
Low on sleep but high on drive, 
Intent on turning midnight’s inspiration 
Into their best class so far.
 
“You’ll breathe again in October,” I’d say. 
 
Then I recalled my own first teaching days, 
How energy and hope had kept me afloat  
When imagination outstripped knowledge and skill. 
Starting out was hard enough  
Without pandemic losses to reverse, 
Lockdown drills to supervise, 
Helicopter parents to manage, 
Cellphone use to discourage except when . . .  

When the river came into 
     view,  
The train I’d taken to 
     school for years was 
     halfway across it. 
Nostalgia and relief 
     washed over me 
     in alternating waves 
Until relief won out: 
     in an hour, I’d be home 
Drinking coffee and 
     reading the 
     newspaper. 
 
Wednesday. Hump day. And fall not even yet here. 
I’d never learned to run fast with coffee. 
But I’d learned to teach, and loved it for years. 
I hoped the young man would, too.
 
* Photograph from North Quincy High School Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/photo/?fbid=440015274801551&set=a.440015238134888

No comments:

Post a Comment