Wednesday, January 13, 2016

Ringing Out the Old, Ringing In the Blue!

Grethe Wittrock Wallhanging at the Fuller Craft Museum
So already, maybe it's because I've been learning the song "Taking a Chance on Love"* for the last couple of weeks. It's hard not to smile when you're singing words like

     Here I go again
     I hear those trumpets blow again,
     all aglow again, 
     taking a chance on love.

Whatever the reason, the new year has me ringing out the old, and ringing in the blue--the bright blue. I'm walking around with the feeling that "things are mending now/ I see a rainbow blending now." It's a feeling, not an accomplishment, and I'm grateful for it.

The friends who told me that adjusting to retirement takes about two years were right. Right now, retirement is sitting on my shoulders like a familiar cloak. Often when I walk out the door wearing it, I don't know where I'm going or where I fit. But sometimes I do know. Meanwhile, just as one retired friend had foretold, people have stopped asking me what my plans are and what I'm doing with myself. I still have no overarching purpose, no big goals except to say yes to projects and activities that I feel immediately excited about, to keep writing, and to trust "the process," which is what I'm finally actually doing. I suspect that my energy and optimism reflect that I'm finally trusting that way will lead to way, and way-to-way is the only way I can go. It's taken two years to get to this point.

As December wound down, my time increasingly became my own. With my parents relatively settled in their new independent living community and the flurry of holiday rehearsals and socializing behind me, I looked toward the horizon at the fast-approaching new year with a sense that certain challenges had been met. New and different ones would no doubt surface in the future, but for the moment, the sea was calm and the coast was clear. With the second anniversary of my retirement from Cambridge Rindge and Latin School just weeks away, I had more choices than I'd had in a long time because I had more time and fewer worries. 


That combination made me feel a lot like I felt two years ago when, for the first time in forever, I wasn't struggling to bring the first semester to a coherent close while trying to plan an inspiring second-semester launch. I recalled the mid-January Saturday that my husband Scott and I hung his M.F.A show** in the gallery of Johnson State College in northern Vermont. As approaching evening turned the snow-covered quadrangle blue, we acknowledged to each other that each of us thought his work looked wonderful in that space. Ahead of us both lay a next phase. But in that moment, we relished being surrounded by his powerful paintings and sculptures. Then we savored the first feelings of freedom from all the effort and hours that had made that moment and that achievement possible.


But such moments don't last, and seldom do we stand at junctures that so dramatically restructure our lives. Days later, Scott went back to work, teaching his community college students, most of whom didn't know that he'd just achieved something major. And I began "the adjustment."

Fortunately, times and people do change, however. When mid-December of this year brought familiar feelings of being mildly adrift rather than joyously empowered to do exactly as I pleased, I had a thought that I'd never had before: while I'm often not sure what will most please me in a given moment, I know for sure that there is much that does please me--much that has meaning for me, much that I believe is important, much that I love. Why spend so much time worrying about trying to match the right pursuit to the right moment when there are plenty of moments, I wondered. So in the final days of December, I resolved to become a creature of habit--or habits. Multiple habits that please me in a range of ways. 

The thought of habits sent me back to two books, one of which I've read countless times--The Plague by Albert Camus--and one of which I've never managed to read through--Better Than Before: Mastering the Habits of Our Everyday Lives by Gretchen Rubin. Camus first mentions habits in The Plague's first chapter in which he describes the character of the city of Oran: "The truth is that everyone is bored, and devotes himself to cultivating habits" (4).  Sentences later, after enumerating the unexamined routines of Oran's citizens when they're not "'doing business,'" Camus explains that while "these habits are not peculiar to our town," "there exist towns and countries where people have now and then have an inkling of something different" (4). While Camus views habit as the antidote to boredom and the unhappiness that often accompanies it, Rubin is concerned with the habits that transform us in order to bring us closer to our goals. In Rubin's world, inklings--especially about ourselves--are to be heeded and appreciated, especially if the purpose of our habits is to reach our goals and feel happy as a result.

I think I've resisted reading Rubin's book because--and I could be wrong about this--it's so much about the goals and happiness of the individual. The world and its needs--momentary, perpetual, and eternal--are of secondary if any importance. Yes, I know I should read the book (and writing this is making me question my assumptions about it). But any habits I'd want to develop would have to lead, or at least have the potential to lead, to more than just my personal satisfaction. Not that self-care habits aren't important: if we don't take care of ourselves, we're likely at some point to be less effective at taking care of others.  But I want habits that help me to have inklings about the world, grow in my comprehension and appreciation of it, figure out how to contribute to it in this evolving next phase of my life. I want others to have inklings, too, and for the same reasons.

So given the literature on habits and my own needs and desires, what would it mean for me to become a person of habits? I knew it would mean, in part, re-establishing some old habits, like walking regularly, daily if possible; taking lots of photographs; writing "morning pages" in the journal an old friend had given me in late September; and making at least one vegetarian soup or entree every week. All of these routines, often good for both my personal well-being and my need to step beyond myself, had fallen by the wayside this fall as my parents tackled the question of "to move or not to move"; made a final decision; and then sorted, discarded, packed, and actually moved--all with much advice and help (sometimes wanted, sometimes not) from my sisters and me. 

And I also knew it would mean establishing some new routines--not necessarily daily habits, but regular focusd efforts--that would help me move toward certain goals and resolves, some related to work and some to play:
  • Having resolved to reconnect with good friends whom I haven't seen in a year or more, I've committed to contacting one old friend per week to hatch a plan to get together. I have two "old friend" lunch dates on my calendar. 
  • Having received This Day: Collected and New Sabbath Poems by Wendell Berry as a Christmas present, I plan to read--and I've already begun--a year's worth of Sabbath poems (there are on average twelve poems for each year from 1979 through 2012) every day until I've read the whole book. Berry's relationship with the woods near his home, the ones about which he often writes in his Sabbath poems because his habit of walking in them on Sundays, has always fascinated me.
  • I've also decided to read one chapter a week--I've yet to begin--of Joseph Campbell's The Power of Myth to help me think about the mythic and mythological aspects of Scott's paintings. A professional storyteller fan*** of Scott's work who recently saw  "Autumn Spring" (at the right) was surprised to learn that Scott had no knowledge of the Greek myth in which Daphne is transformed into a laurel tree to avoid Apollo's advances. Is Scott's imagination giving him access to some primordial dream-truth that others learn through myth? Might a deeper understanding of mythology's sources and functions help both Scott and me to create a context that would invite more people into the sometimes unsettling world of his paintings? Might a carefully curated exhibition of Scott's works create a setting in which other artists could perform their mythology-inspired art and music? 

So I've begun to cultivate most of my "new" habits, which often means fitting them in around prior commitments. But a funny thing happened on my way to the CRLS Teachers' Resource Center last Tuesday, where I was headed to facilitate some of the curriculum development work the Kimbrough Scholars Program****  teacher team is currently doing. When I signed in at the security desk to receive the yellow badge that's required of any official visitor to the high school, I actually felt like a visitor to the high school for the very first time. That new feeling felt more right than strange. The people who had said adjustment to retirement would take two years had called it just right.


When I first renewed my habit of carrying my camera with me, I noticed pale blues, grays, and whites dominating my photos. Winter, I thought, as I explained to myself the predominance of muted colors in my nature photos. But time of year didn't explain the softened colors of the collected quilts and wallhangings in the Art as Quilt: Transitions in Contemporary Textile Media exhibition at the Fuller Craft Museum. Strange coincidence, I mused.


As days passed, though, and I walked more, took more pictures, and more fully enjoyed the unseasonable early January weather, I began seeing the vibrant, and it was blue. As I looked toward Squantum from the northern stretch of Wollaston Beach one morning, one facade of a bright blue house cheerfully commanded my full attention--and in so doing, obliterated the pale winter-world conception to which I'd been clinging. When I got home, I looked back through the photos I'd taken recently: there were swaths and patches of bright blue in many of them. How had I managed to overlook them in the quilt landscape I'd photographed at the Fuller Craft Museum?

Sometimes it takes something shifting within us, and despite us, for us to see, feel, and set out anew. At mid-January, I'm feeling eager and grateful and surprised, ready to make a habit of taking a chance. Here's to the mystery of it all--and the hope. 

Latouche, John, and Ted Fetter. "Lyrics-"Taking a Chance on Love"" - Google Play Music. EMI Miller Catalogue Inc., n.d. Web. 12 Jan. 2016. You can watch this YouTube video if you want to hear Ethel Waters sing this song in Cabin in the Sky.
** You can check out my husband Scott Ketcham's paintings on his web site, <www.scottketcham.com>.
*** The professional storyteller visitor was my fellow Unicorn Singer, Joan Gatturna, who researched and wrote the script for Unicorn Singers' "'All is Calm, All is Bright': The Christmas Truce of 1914 in Song and Narration." I wrote about this program as part of a December 2014 blog post, called "Crossing Lines and the Christmas Truce of 1914": <http://soalready.blogspot.com/2014/12/crossing-lines-and-christmas-truce-of.html>.
**** Working with this group has been one of the most satisfying, clarifying, enlightening experiences of my retirement; stay tuned for a future blog post on this topic.

11 comments:

  1. Hello Everybody,
    My name is Ahmad Asnul Brunei, I contacted Mr Osman Loan Firm for a business loan amount of $250,000, Then i was told about the step of approving my requested loan amount, after taking the risk again because i was so much desperate of setting up a business to my greatest surprise, the loan amount was credited to my bank account within 24 banking hours without any stress of getting my loan. I was surprise because i was first fall a victim of scam! If you are interested of securing any loan amount & you are located in any country, I'll advise you can contact Mr Osman Loan Firm via email osmanloanserves@gmail.com

    LOAN APPLICATION INFORMATION FORM
    First name......
    Middle name.....
    2) Gender:.........
    3) Loan Amount Needed:.........
    4) Loan Duration:.........
    5) Country:.........
    6) Home Address:.........
    7) Mobile Number:.........
    8) Email address..........
    9) Monthly Income:.....................
    10) Occupation:...........................
    11)Which site did you here about us.....................
    Thanks and Best Regards.
    Derek Email osmanloanserves@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was searching for loan to sort out my bills& debts, then i saw comments about Blank ATM Credit Card that can be hacked to withdraw money from any ATM machines around you . I doubted thus but decided to give it a try by contacting {Blankatmoffice@gmail.com} they responded with their guidelines on how the card works. I was assured that the card can withdraw $5,000 instant per day & was credited with$50,000,000.00 so i requested for one & paid the delivery fee to obtain the card, after 24 hours later, i was shock to see the UPS agent in my resident with a parcel{card} i signed and went back inside and confirmed the card work's after the agent left. This is no doubts because i have the card & has made used of the card. This hackers are USA based hackers set out to help people with financial freedom!! Contact these email if you wants to get rich with this Via: Blankatmoffice@gmail.com or WhatsApp Via +1 (504) 500-0537..

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was searching for loan to sort out my bills& debts, then i saw comments about Blank ATM Credit Card that can be hacked to withdraw money from any ATM machines around you . I doubted thus but decided to give it a try by contacting {nashwilliams4@gmail.com} they responded with their guidelines on how the card works. I was assured that the card can withdraw $5,000 instant per day & was credited with$50,000,000.00 so i requested for one & paid the delivery fee to obtain the card, after 24 hours later, i was shock to see the UPS agent in my resident with a parcel{card} i signed and went back inside and confirmed the card work's after the agent left. This is no doubts because i have the card & has made used of the card. This hackers are set to help people with financial freedom!! Contact these email if you wants to get rich with this Via: nashwilliams4@gmail.com or WhatsApp Via+2349057353987

    ReplyDelete
  4. GOOD CARD WITH COOL CASH...Get THE 2019 BLANK ATM Programmed Card and cash money directly in any ATM Machine around you. There is no risk of being caught, because the card has been programmed in such a way that it´s not traceable, it also has a technique that makes it impossible for the CCTV to detect you and you can withdraw a total sum of $5,000.00 USD daily,try and get yours today from (MR MARTINS) of martinshackers22@gmail.com And be among the lucky ones who are benefiting from it. Now email the hacker on : martinshackers22@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Treg Finance Limited provides personal loans/business loans/trade finance/import & export loans/project loans to companies of all sizes ranging from individuals, companies and trader's globally. Just one simple process, We make financing the growth of your business simple, transparent, and fair.


    No jargon, no hidden fees
    Simple approval process
    Fast business loans funded in just 2-3 business days
    Low Interest rate of 2%
    Companies can be profitable or have negative net income
    Prior bankruptcies accepted
    Zero credit checks required
    Individuals with Bad credit can apply
    Flexible repayment schedules
    CIS & KYC required for all loan applicant irrespective of location/country
    Loan Duration from 1 year - 20 years maximum
    Grace period of 12 - 24 months for large business loans/working capital
    Loan Funding/Financing is not limited to any geographical location or country whatsoever


    We build just the right financing for each client, with simple paperwork, quick approvals, and flexible payment schedules. For further details, Kindly contact us via email, telephone, Skype. Intermediaries/Consultants/Brokers are welcome to bring their clients and are 100% protected. In complete confidence, we will work together for the benefits of all parties involved, Looking forward to rendering the best of our services to all esteemed clientele globally.


    Treg Finance Company Limited
    https://tregfinance.co.uk/
    Email: info@tregfinance.co.uk
    Whatsapp: +44 7424-590806
    Skype id: treg.finance1@outlook.com
    201 Bishopsgate, London, EC2M 3AE
    Company Registration No. 02587815

    ReplyDelete
  6. Treg Finance Limited provides personal loans/business loans/trade finance/import & export loans/project loans to companies of all sizes ranging from individuals, companies and trader's globally. Just one simple process, We make financing the growth of your business simple, transparent, and fair.


    No jargon, no hidden fees
    Simple approval process
    Fast business loans funded in just 2-3 business days
    Low Interest rate of 2%
    Companies can be profitable or have negative net income
    Prior bankruptcies accepted
    Zero credit checks required
    Individuals with Bad credit can apply
    Flexible repayment schedules
    CIS & KYC required for all loan applicant irrespective of location/country
    Loan Duration from 1 year - 20 years maximum
    Grace period of 12 - 24 months for large business loans/working capital
    Loan Funding/Financing is not limited to any geographical location or country whatsoever


    We build just the right financing for each client, with simple paperwork, quick approvals, and flexible payment schedules. For further details, Kindly contact us via email, telephone, Skype. Intermediaries/Consultants/Brokers are welcome to bring their clients and are 100% protected. In complete confidence, we will work together for the benefits of all parties involved, Looking forward to rendering the best of our services to all esteemed clientele globally.


    Treg Finance Company Limited
    https://tregfinance.co.uk/
    Email: info@tregfinance.co.uk
    Whatsapp: +44 7424-590806
    Skype id: treg.finance1@outlook.com
    201 Bishopsgate, London, EC2M 3AE
    Company Registration No. 02587815

    ReplyDelete
  7. Treg Finance Limited provides personal loans/business loans/trade finance/import & export loans/project loans to companies of all sizes ranging from individuals, companies and trader's globally. Just one simple process, We make financing the growth of your business simple, transparent, and fair.


    No jargon, no hidden fees
    Simple approval process
    Fast business loans funded in just 2-3 business days
    Low Interest rate of 2%
    Companies can be profitable or have negative net income
    Prior bankruptcies accepted
    Zero credit checks required
    Individuals with Bad credit can apply
    Flexible repayment schedules
    CIS & KYC required for all loan applicant irrespective of location/country
    Loan Duration from 1 year - 20 years maximum
    Grace period of 12 - 24 months for large business loans/working capital
    Loan Funding/Financing is not limited to any geographical location or country whatsoever


    We build just the right financing for each client, with simple paperwork, quick approvals, and flexible payment schedules. For further details, Kindly contact us via email, telephone, Skype. Intermediaries/Consultants/Brokers are welcome to bring their clients and are 100% protected. In complete confidence, we will work together for the benefits of all parties involved, Looking forward to rendering the best of our services to all esteemed clientele globally.


    Treg Finance Company Limited
    https://tregfinance.co.uk/
    Email: info@tregfinance.co.uk
    Whatsapp: +44 7424-590806
    Skype id: treg.finance1@outlook.com
    201 Bishopsgate, London, EC2M 3AE
    Company Registration No. 02587815

    ReplyDelete
  8. DO YOU NEED AN AFFORDABLE LOAN TODAY?

    We have provided over $1 Billion in business loans to over 15,000 business owners just like you. We use our own designated risk technology to provide you with the right business loan so you can grow your business. Our services are fast and reliable, loans are approved within 24 hours of successful application. We offer loans from a minimum range of $10,000 to a maximum of $200 million.

    Do you find yourself in a bit of trouble with unpaid bills and don’t know which way to go or where to turn? What about finding a reputable Debt Consolidation firm that can assist you in reducing monthly installment so that you will have affordable repayment options as well as room to breathe when it comes to the end of the month and bills need to get paid? Dr. Jayden Martin Home Loans is the answer. Reduce your payments to ease the strain on your monthly expenses. Email (jaydenmartinhomeloans@gmail.com) Phone: +1 (929)277-5237

    DO YOU NEED 100% FINANCE? we give out loans with an affordable interest rate of 2% JAYDEN MARTIN HOME LOANS, (jaydenmartinhomeloans@gmail.com) aims is to provide Excellent Professional Financial Services.

    Our services include the following:

    *Truck Loans
    * Personal Loans
    * Debt consolidation loans
    * Car Loans
    * Business Loans
    * Education Loans
    * Mortgage
    *Refinancing Loans
    * Home Loans

    We give you loan with a low interest rate of 2% and loan duration of 1 to 30 years to pay back the loan (secure and unsecured). Do not keep your financial problems to yourself in order for you not to be debt master or financial stress up, which is why you must contact us quickly for a solution to your financial problems. It will be a great joy to us when you are financially stable. Email (jaydenmartinhomeloans@gmail.com) Phone: +1 (929)277-5237

    NOTE:Bear in mind that it will only take less than 24 Hours to process your file is 100% Guaranteed no matter your Credit Score.

    Yours Sincerely,
    Dr. Jayden Martin
    +1 (929)277-5237
    We are certified and your privacy is 100% safe with us. Worry no more about your loans or finances.


    Get your instant loan approval

    ReplyDelete
  9. DO YOU THINK OF GETTING A LOAN??
    APPLY TODAY FOR AFFORDABLE 100% LEGITIMATE HOME/REAL ESTATE/PERSONAL/BUSINESS LOANS Email for immediate response: (dr.bradleylouisloans@gmail.com) Text/Call (917) 383-2689


    DO YOU NEED A LOAN? Are Financially down, Cry no more, Financial problem is nothing to cry about, it something we will have to fight against in one Love, Understanding, Trust and Unity. So our faith as Legitimate Financial Consultants is putting an end to the financial hardship. We are investors providing financial services and we specialize in both start up projects,Home Finance and existing businesses needing funding or Loan for expansion. We are committed to helping businesses develop and succeed.Do you have a low credit score and you are finding it hard to obtain capital loan from local banks and other financial institutes? Do you need an urgent loan to buy a house? If Yes worry no more for we are out here to help the less financial privileges get the loan they need to get back on their feet no matter your credit score, you can say goodbye to all your financial crisis and difficulties. We offer loans ranging from ($5,000.00.USD To $500,000,000.00.USD) At a low and affordable interest rate of 2%, without collateral and without credit check. Bradley Louis Loans holds all of the information about how to obtain money quickly and painlessly (dr.bradleylouisloans@gmail.com) Text/Call (917) 383-2689

    Need emergency funds? Apply now and get your cash approval. we offer the following financial services:
    *Personal loans,
    *Debt consolidation loans,
    *Venture capital,
    *Business loans,
    *Education loans,
    *Home loans
    *Car Loans
    *Hotel Loans
    And many more.

    Are you looking for genuine loan? contacting the right company for legitimate loan lender have always been a huge problem to clients who have financial problem and in need of solution to it at an affordable interest rate? Are you in any financial mess or do you need funds to start up your own home project and real estate development? Do you need a loan to start a nice small or large scale and medium business?
    contact us today (dr.bradleylouisloans@gmail.com) Text/Call (917) 383-2689
    Look forward to your response,

    Dr. Bradley Louis
    Text/Call (917) 383-2689

    ReplyDelete
  10. Dear Customers,

    We invite you all to participate in our new business and project funding program, We are currently funding for Business start-up Business developments, Business acquisition Business expansion, Project funding and Working capital etc.

    This Funding program allows a client to enjoy 3% low interest rate and payback period of 1 to 15 years. We can approve a loan/funding for up to a Million Dollars, Euros, Pounds or more depending on the nature of business we are currently funding for and we satisfy our customers’ financial needs and help them succeed

    Application Available
    Apply via E-mail: challotloan@gmail.com
    Regards,


    ReplyDelete
  11. TESTIMONY ON HOW I GOT MY LOAN FROM A GENUINE FINANCE COMPANY LAST WEEK. Email for immediate response: drbenjaminfinance@gmail.com

    {Dr.Benjamin Scarlet Owen} can also help you with a legit loan offer. He Has also helped some other colleagues of mine. If you need a genuine loan without cost/stress he his the right loan lender to wipe away your financial problems and crisis today. BENJAMIN LOAN INVESTMENTS FINANCE holds all of the information about how to obtain money quickly and painlessly via Call/Text: +1(415)630-7138 Email: drbenjaminfinance@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete