Monday, December 13, 2021

Yahrzeit: A Poem

So already, an original poem connected to the first anniversary of my father's death.*  

Yahrzeit is the Yiddish word for the anniversary of a loved one's death.

Yahrzeit
 
Your death 
is no longer news--
just stone fact
on which ordinary
days and ways,
jolted less
by sudden apprehension
of the already known,
light and pivot, 
then fly on--
because life
is for living,
which you loved.
 
* My dad died on December 12, 2020 on the Gregorian calendar, on Kislev 26, 5781 on the Jewish calendar--so his memorial candle is always lit on the second night of Hanukkah.
 

11 comments:

  1. light and pivot, wonderful poem. thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Emily, for letting me know you liked my poem. I went back and forth about a few things in this poem, but light and pivot just came to me.

      Delete
  2. Deeply moving. So many thoughts and feelings in so few words.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Catherine--so glad it spoke to you. I'm glad it could speak to you "briefly"!

      Delete
  3. Beautiful poem, Joan, and one we can all feel about loved ones who have passed. Susan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Susan! I'm glad you think the poem has significance for all of us.

      Delete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful, Joan. Thanks for sharing. I know you miss him terribly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know you understand, Lenae. Thank you so much for writing to let me know you liked the poem--means a lot coming from one fatherless daughter to another. Thinking of you at Christmas, such a busy but meaningful time for you!

      Delete
  6. This is a beautiful poem, so simple yet so powerful.Thank you for sharing your thoughts in the form of a poem with all of us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad you liked it, N., and for writing to let me know so!

      Delete